Planning a holiday to Mexico? When you are in a different country on a vacation, the last thing you want to think of is a medical emergency. But unfortunately, emergencies come unannounced, so it is better to be prepared.
It is very important to have a plan for what you will do if you face a medical emergency when holidaying in Mexico. Here are a few things that you must know in order to be better prepared:
- Most hospitals in Mexico ask for payments up-front. If you are visiting a hospital for urgent or emergency care, you will have to pay up-front for services rendered.
- There are chances your existing insurance plan will not cover the emergency care expenses. So you need to find out about short-term health coverage during your trip to Mexico.
- It is advised to consider an air medical evacuation plan that is insurance compliant. You can look for an insurance plan that will offer you hospital-to-hospital transport coverage without any out-of-pocket expenses or deductibles. Another option is to take up travel insurance plan.
- In case you get hospitalised in Mexico, it is best to inform your insurance company as soon as possible. Let them know about your current medical condition.
- Not all hospitals in Mexico are at the same level in terms of quality of care. It is better to choose a private hospital or clinic because they are better equipped to offer high standard of care. Care quality in a private healthcare system is expensive but efficient. You will get access to doctors who can speak English and are well-qualified. Private clinics also have the best healthcare equipment and facilities.
Emergency care with Lakeside Medical Group
Lakeside Medical Group is similar to a Managed Care HMO through which you can avail high quality care during your visit to Mexico. The group offers an extensive network of the best hospitals, clinics, specialists, diagnostic centres and pharmacies across the country to its members.
By registering with us, you can enjoy your holiday in Mexico without worrying about emergency care services. Within our network of doctors, labs, hospitals and urgent care centres, you can access emergency care using your existing US health plan.
In case you face a medical emergency and you are admitted to a hospital that is not in our network, call us as soon as you are medically stable. Our team will try their best to transport you to one of the network hospitals. In case you cannot get transported, our team will offer you assistance with the paperwork so that you can easily obtain an insurance reimbursement.
In Mexico, health costs vary depending on the hospital or doctor you are getting treatment from. Generally, you need to pay around 400-500 pesos for one emergency room visit.
So what are you waiting for? Register with Lakeside Medical Group and enjoy your holiday without worrying about accessibility and affordability of emergency care.